Welcome to the December Pinterest Challenge Blog Hop, hosted by Erlene @ MyPinterventures. The purpose of this Pinterest Challenge is to motivate all the participants of this hop (and you too) to not just pin, but to make it happen!This month, in keeping with my theme of using purple buffalo plaid in my holiday decor this season, I chose to share how I covered cone trees with the fabric! You can see what I've made so far, here, here, here, here and here. Whew, I've been busy!
I was in Hobby Lobby some time ago to see their Christmas items (they always put them out in late summer) and noticed a theme using black and white plaid holiday items. There were lots of black and white fabric covered cone trees that I loved!
pictures from:Simple Made Pretty
Of course I thought I could make my own using purple plaid fabric, but when I checked on Pinterest to see if anyone had made any in plaid (any color plaid), surprisingly, I really didn't find much - a few in plaid cones that were store bought and altered, and some made on the bias. Of course I pinned those but I wanted to see ones with lines or fabric patterns matching somewhat! And I couldn't believe there weren't any tutorials like that on Pinterest. So I came up with my own version.
The first thing that I did was to lay the paper mache cone on the plaid fabric as straight as I could get it, eyeballing the middle of the cone and matching the lines - pinning the fabric on in place. I left about a two inch side border and cut off the excess material.
Next, I pinned the fabric as tight as I could, making sure the side ends were matching along the triangular shape,
and then after removing the pinned fabric from the cone. I hand-basted the fabric together following where it was pinned.
After that, I put it back on the cone again to check the fit and it was perfect!
I took the cone shaped fabric off again, and re-enforced the stitching, leaving a small seam allowance for the final fit.
You can use a sewing machine to sew it together, but I hated hauling my machine out and literally scooping off craft stuff on my table to make room for it! Lol! Anyway, it looks neat hand-stitched!
And finally, I pulled the fabric down on the cone as tight as I could, adjusting the pattern for an awesome look, and tucked the bottom edge under. Then hot glued the bottom in place. I should have painted the exposed bottom, but couldn't decide which color so I left it natural.